Shawn M. Morse
Ask the Mayor!
City of Cohoes
97 Mohawk Street
Cohoes, NY 12047

City Hall hours
Monday thru Friday
8am - 4pm

May 26, 2018
3:34 PM


City Court  
How Do I  
Print this page Print this page Email this page Email this page

   City Court
      - Are Court sessions open to the public?
      - How can I pay my fine?
      - How do I file a small claim by myself for back rent?
      - How do I file a small claim?
      - How do I get a public defender?
      - How To Contact The Courts Office?
      - What do I do if I get a parking ticket?
      - What do I do if I get a suspension notice?
      - What do I do if I get a traffic ticket?

    City Court
          Are Court sessions open to the public?
Yes, Court Sessions are open to the public.

          How can I pay my fine?

You may submit a money order or certified check made out to "Cohoes City Court" either in person or by mail, or you may bring cash to the office. The Court does not accept personal checks. Visa or Mastercard may be used for any Vehicle & Traffic Violation. Credit card payments must have authorized signatures, therefore, no telephone credit card transactions can be accepted, except by fax . Credit card payments made in person must be accompanied by one form of photo identification or two other forms of identification. Credit card payments made by mail or fax must be accompanied by a signed cardholder acknowledgment form which will be a part of the notice of fine payment mailed to you. If other than the defendant is making the payment, a photocopy of the cardholder's photo identification with signature (i.e. drivers license) is also required. The amount charged may not exceed the amount imposed by the Court. Any credit card transaction that is rejected for failure to submit all required information will result in the filing of a default judgment without prior notice.

          How do I file a small claim by myself for back rent?

You should contact the Court for information regarding the proper paperwork you need to obtain and complete.

          How do I file a small claim?

In order to file a Small Claim in our Court, the person whom you are suing (the Defendant) must either live or work in the County of Albany. In other words, the address you provide the Court must be located in Albany County. You do need an exact address. You cannot use a P.O.Box. The amount of your claim cannot exceed $5,000.

Once you have this information, you may file the paperwork at the Court Office, Monday thru Friday between 8:30 A.M. and 3:00 P.M. Corporations, partnerships and associations having a principal office in the State of New York may bring a commercial claim against a person or a business located in Albany County for an amount up to $5,000. The Court may hear cases brought by DBA's provided they show proof that they are, in fact, a DBA. For more information, you may pick up a booklet on Small Claims at the Court Office, or you may view the booklet online by clicking on the link below.

A Guide To Small Claims Court

          How do I get a public defender?

In order to obtain a Public Defender, you must financially qualify and be charged with a crime or violation other than a traffic infraction. For more information regarding the qualifications, you may contact the Public Defender's Office at 518-447-7150.

          How To Contact The Courts Office?

In Person:
The Court Office has a window which is open from 8:00 A.M. until 3:30 P.M.

By Telephone:
between the hours of 8:00 A.M. and 4:00 P.M. at: 
(518) 453-5501 

Mailing Address:

Cohoes City Courts
P.O. Box 678
97 Mohawk Street
Cohoes, New York 12047

          What do I do if I get a parking ticket?
You may mail your fine into the Treasurer's Office - City Hall, or you can request a Parking Ticket Protest Form from the Treasurer's Office. Complete that form and return it to the Treasurer's Office. The Treasurer will forward protest forms to the Judge for his review and decision. You will be notified by the Treasurer's Office of the outcome.

          What do I do if I get a suspension notice?

You should immediately contact the Court to determine the reason for the suspension. If the suspension is for failing to pay a fine, the payment should be remitted to the Court. If the suspension is for failing to answer the summons, then you should appear in Court to expedite the procedure. If you are unable to appear and the charge is not a misdemeanor, you may be able to mail in a plea, be sent a notice with the amount to pay, remit your payment and be mailed a receipt. NYS Department of Motor Vehicles suggests that you carry this receipt with you for a minimum of a year as they no longer have the capability to lift suspensions. The Court mails notifications to DMV and they advise it takes this long for it to clear.

          What do I do if I get a traffic ticket?

There are a few options when getting a traffic ticket. On the back of the yellow ticket given by the officer is what is called a plea by mail. If you wish to plead guilty, you may sign and date Part A pleading guilty and the Court will mail you back a notice of fine. If you wish to plead not guilty, you may sign and date Part B pleading not guilty and you will be scheduled for an appearance and a possible trial.

If you do not wish to plea by mail but rather you would like to speak to a Judge then you must appear on the date that is listed on the front of your ticket at the bottom of your ticket. Please note that most tickets you can mail in your plea, however, there are some exceptions. All misdemeanor tickets must appear in Court. If there is a question on whether you were charged with a misdemeanor, you may contact the Court for clarification.


Copyright © 2009 City of Cohoes, NY. All Rights Reserved.
NOTE: This site optimized for 1200x800 resolution; 32-bit true-color with JavaScript enabled.

Powered by Cit-e-Net