The Spindle City Historic Society and the City of Cohoes Rededicate Silliman Park
Corner of Mohawk and Ontario Streets
September 23, 2010 at 6:30PM
Reception following in The Cohoes Visitor’s Center at 58 Remsen St.
Please join us at this beautiful park as we recognize Horace B. Silliman and his vast and varied contributions.
Throughout his life, Silliman generously gave of his time and wealth to Cohoes. He was a leader in organizing a school district in Cohoes in 1849 and in establishing the Cohoes Hospital. He worked to improve the community cemetery grounds and participated in efforts to distribute relief to the poor and establish a soup kitchen. Silliman was a key figure in initiatives to improve fire protection and create a reservoir and reliable water system in Cohoes. He was elected first president of the Cohoes chapter of the YMCA in 1858; later serving as its vice president. Because of his prominence in the community, Silliman was selected to deliver the address at the dedication of City Hall in 1895.
Horace Silliman dedicated his life to promoting pride in his city and making it a better place to live for those of his and future generations. His greatest monument and gift to the citizens of Cohoes was the Silliman Memorial Church, constructed in 1896 in memory of his parents, Levi and Clarissa, who were instrumental in organizing a Presbyterian Church in Cohoes.Silliman Park is a fitting tribute to Horace B. Silliman’s selfless contributions to Cohoes and beyond.